American Sibling

August 29, I write.

Kow that I am New Orleans
Not too long ago
a cancer of some sort hit me
It began silently and built up quickly
Before anyone knew it, I was sinking,
all of my vitals were failing
I called on surrounding siblings
of America
I wasn't worth their time to invest in.

Dear Siblings of America
Fine government that you are
Where were you when I needed you
Why were you not protecting me
I was here drowning, holding on to my nothings
I waited and trusted you
You, in your pride filled position
Were you too busy for my saving
You knew the path you needed to go
Still you decided not to show
Or did you
How long did it take for you to See
I was in this unlivable state
The job you should have been doing
Casually became our priority
But it wasn't so for you
I've been DISmantled and UProoted
No amount of money...
Can revive or bring back the life I once held
When eviction hit
But even so, here I lay with this illness
Thank you for being my comforter
If I knew I had to fight on my own
Why is it that our relation exist
Can heal on my own
Time will permit itself where
I will be never where I was
But close to it and
I will live and
Another day will pass and
I will be thankful and
Blessed and
Folks will still know
That I am the
Root of Jazz

-New Orleans

Comments

Popular Posts