#4- bottle of Water instead

Picture this- A fall night in Charlotte, NC. It's gallery crawl night in Charlotte's uptown art district. The weather is on the nippy side, but who cares- the galleries were loaded. | This was my first "big" opening as a professional artist... I began walking around, observing how the crowd responded to the work hung on the chalk white wall. As I gasped in glory at this moment, folks crowded in. On a small table that centered the gallery were two bottles of wine, one white, one red. Beside the wine were two silver bowls, one filled with peanuts, the other with chocolates. I figured this was a big night, so hey, why not. I poured me a glass of red wine.

him- (introducing his co-worker to me) hey, this is my significant other and artist, Tomika Elise.
me- thank you for coming out, how are you? nice to meet you. (indulging myself in the conversation).

While during the conversation my right hand gave its attention to holding my glass of wine, it shared its pleasure by holding my camera as well. I suppose my left hand was too busy indulging itself with gestures while entertaining the conversation I was having. I started to tinker a bit with my camera, totally forgetting that the glass was even there. I ended up tilting the glass just enough that my wine that once resided in my glass was now on the gallery floor. Damn!

him- hold up now, you over here spilling wine. you think you've had enough to drink? i think you better go put that down.
me- laughed it off, oops! i was messing with my camera that's why the wine fell. (embarrassed as all get out.)

On top of everything, it was in front of his co-worker. OK so lets back up- about 20min into sipping this glorious wine, I admit I started to feel a little happier and passive than usual. But it couldn't be the wine or so I thought. I mean gee-wiz, it was my only glass. Someone must have put something in my drink, lol. At any rate I leave my company and make my way to the place behind the dark curtains, the "forbidden place," you know the place that only the employees and visiting artist can go. I pour my wine down the drain of the lonely sink and grab a bottle of water from my bag (that was originally for him) and began to drink it. I made my way back to the gallery, where the people crowded on a
fall night for gallery crawl in Charlotte's uptown art district. No wine for me in the public eye, I think I'll stick with the bottle of water instead. Besides, you never know whose looking and who has a camera!!!

(animal cracker stories)

Comments

Popular Posts